Computer Event Log Files Provide Valuable Evidence
Computer log files provide concrete evidence of a user’s computer activity both on and offline. Event log files are automatically generated and may be found in operating systems, web browsers, or computer applications. Even deleting specific documents will not delete the associated computer log file data. Here is a list of the types of evidence that could provide crucial evidence in your case:
- Websites accessed, when, and for how long.
- USB devices inserted and removed from the computer.
- Which wireless networks the machine has seen, and when it connected and disconnected.
- When the defendant booted up or shut down their work computer.
- User profiles accessing the machine, when, and for how long.
- New and deleted user profiles.
- User access to the machine whether directly or remotely.
- Email communications content and participants.
- Computer application use and frequency.
- Contraband photos downloaded from the internet, when accessed, how re-named if applicable.
- Deleted files, emails, documents, and more.
Digital Forensics & Computer Log Files
No matter the condition of your computer or phone, frequently our forensics experts can recover evidence for your case – including previously deleted or otherwise hidden data. In the case of computer log files, our forensics investigators can look for evidence of tampering when someone has tried to alter or destroy evidence. In fact, even if a user deleted an app, the event log files will remain behind as digital fingerprints.
Using Event Logs
Computer event logs have a wide variety of applications in defending and pursuing legal complaints. Here are just a few examples:
- Unfair Competition Lawsuit: Event logs showed when an employee downloaded trade secrets shortly before setting up a competing business.
- Wage Fraud: Event logs proved that when the employee claimed to be working, he was actually on vacation out of state.
- Wrongful Termination: The employer was able to prove that they fired their executive for cause with event logs showing the amount of time he had spent during working hours watching porn in the office.
We Serve Most Computer Models
- And more!
Remote Collection Services
We handle the data extraction remotely with our Remote Collection Unit. This means we will ship you our BlackBox and conduct the forensics examination remotely. Then, you return the BlackBox to us using our pre-paid shipping label and box. Once complete, we provide you with an Evidence Report for easy legal review.